Thursday, April 8, 2010

Jake's Dr. appt. results

I couldn't be more thrilled! We took Jake to his 2 month old check-up and it was a great appointment (minus the shots). His specialist said that we could just have his labs done there and then have them faxed over to her office and we could discuss it over the phone. Jake is getting SO big! He weighed 12 pounds 7 ounces!! What a chunk. The doctor said that it looked like he didn't have a neck...only two big chins...poor guy! Everything looked good at the check-up and I only prayed that the results from his blood test would come back good. The results came back later that day and they were awesome!! I was blown away at how much better they were. The last time that his numbers were "up" and we were so excited we still had a ways to go. His neutrophil count is supposed to be at 40% and it was only at 14%, but that was still a ton of progress especially after so many zero readings. We knew that he had a ways to go (especially after they dropped again), but now I feel much better about it all. His neutrophil count is now up to 36%!!!! For me this means that even if his count does drop again that it would probably still be in the "okay" range and that is just so great. So now we can take him out and about and begin functioning more like a normal family. I am just really grateful for such great news.

The only down side of the blood test was that some of his other counts were off. After the pediatricians office called me with the results they faxed them to the specialists' office. After they received them the nurse of Jake's doctor called me to go over them. In that conversation I asked about all of his other counts (which she hadn't paid attention to)because some had been off before. In reviewing those she noticed that his hemoglobin and his platelet count were off. She said that she would talk to the doctor and call me back. That evening his doctor called (I thought it was odd that his doctor would call me herself in the evening time; it concerned me a bit). She told me that with his hemoglobin counts being so off that he has something called physiological anemia. She said that with his history that this is something that doesn't surprise her, and that it should go away and resolve itself by the time he is three months old. We will have him tested in another month to check on that, but he should be okay in the meantime.

After we came home from the doctor earlier that day Jake was incredibly fussy and I assumed it was from the shots. He would just scream and scream. He would wake up from a dead sleep screaming and when he was feeding he would pull off out of nowhere and just scream! I felt so bad for him. It worried me a bit that we were in for a new challenge with him especially after receiving such good news, but thankfully he is doing much better now. I am hoping that by next month we won't have any more of these little worries (of course there will always be worries with kids) to be concerned about and we can officially move forward and be "discharged" from his specialist.

Looking back at everything I feel so blessed that we really have only had to go through all of this for 2 months and have had so many blessings in the midst of it all. There are so many families that do not get the blessing of receiving such good news about their sick babies especially so fast. I know that the Lord is watching out for our little Jake and I know that the many prayers in his behalf have made a difference for his little body. He sure is a special little boy and I can't wait to see what is in store for him in the future.

5 comments:

Jen said...

Good news...thanks for the updates!

Jo Jo said...

Yeah!!!! I've been looking forward to this update. Great news.

Texas Birds said...

I'm so glad he's better after is shots. I meant to call and check on Jake and didn't, sorry! If you need anything please let me know!!

Anonymous said...

That is the first-hand power of prayer. What great news! I hope Jake keeps improving with every visit.

Beth Jamison said...

I love how you are so positive and you recognize your blessings. I love you and your family and I am glad your little Jake continues to grow and thrive :)